Monday 26 January 2015

How To Pronounce British Place Names

Siobhan Thompson teaches American Rusty Ward how to pronounce difficult British place names.



YouTube link

4 comment(s):

NotMarian said...

It's a little funny when British people mispronounce American place names. So the feeling is mutual, British lady.

Brian Kern said...

I love Thompson and some of the other Anglophenia episodes are hilarious. Still, I'd love to see her get turned around on this one. I still know New Yorkers who pronounce "Houston" as "House-TON". It would be amusing to see her handle some of our more interesting city names!

BrianU said...

Croughton. I was stationed at RAF Croughton. When I said Croughton with an OW sound ( like in "ouch, that hurts" ) I was corrected by the English cab driver to say Croughton with an OH sound ( like in "Oh, really?") and when I pronounced it that way the next time I was in a cab, I was corrected to say it the way I originally pronounced it. I figured this was just some sort of English "game" to trick Americans into thinking that any way we pronounced an British English word was incorrect

Gareth said...

Doesn't matter how light and inoffensive something is there's always a Merlin who will take offence NotMarian